Your mother was always fair to you, so treat her to a home cooked Mother's Day brunch this Sunday with freshly made honey, lemon and poppy seed muffins. These are sweet and tangy with the rich, grown-up taste of fairly traded African Bronze Honey. You love your mom, she'll love these.
1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons Poppy seeds
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- Measure out the dry ingredients and mix together, sift the flour to keep it light
- Grate the lemon zest of one lemon using a rasp, squeeze the lemon juice and mix together
- Add the honey to the lemon mixture and add the egg, beat until well mixed
- Melt the butter and add slowly to the honey, lemon, egg mixture, stirring until well mixed
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, folding gently. Don't overmix
- Spoon the batter into pre-prepared muffin tins, use parchment paper or muffin cups instead of greasing the muffin tin if you prefer.
- Bake in a pre-heated 375º F oven for about 18 minutes, or until slightly golden on top. To be sure, test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into one muffin. If it comes out clean, they are done.